quadblogging begins…

Let’s think about our guidelines for making comments.

I want you to think about what you write, your digital footprint and your editing.

Here is a link to the ‘Huzzah’ blog and their guidelines for making comments. You could use this for some ideas.

So, when we are writing comments, what are the things we need to be aware of?

Creative Commons link on image…

1. #1 by Ryan on September 10, 2012 - 4:03 pm

Mr Rogers.
    The two guidelines that I think are most important is to make sense about the original post & to not give out last names, school name, phone numbers, user names, or places and dates you can be found. I find these two are the most important for our class.

• #2 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 6:34 am

Hi Ryan,
      Have you read the other comments and noted how similar their ideas are to yours? Their is a similarity about the content of the conversation and being mindful about cybersafe beahviour.

I wonder if the other quadbloggers will think in a similar way?

regards Mr Rogers

• #3 by josh on September 13, 2012 - 11:04 pm

Hi am josh i think that is great idea also not to give away personal information

• #4 by george on September 13, 2012 - 11:11 pm

hi my name is george and i agree about that because any one can get hacked

2. #5 by Laura on September 10, 2012 - 5:39 pm

Hi Mr Rogers,
    I think the most important things to remember while writing a comment are:
    1.To keep your comment on topic and make sense
    2. If you disagree, don’t be rude about it; give constructive and helpful feedback.
    What do you think the most important things are?
    See you tomorrow,
    Laura

• #6 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 6:29 am

Hi Laura,
      I love the way you asked me a question. Jack did the same thing. It helps to start a conversation.

I also like your two guidelines. A comment on topic keeps the conversation developing. While it is important to challenge you have to be clever with words so the other person still feels respected for their opinion.

cheers Mr Rogers

• #7 by Tom on September 13, 2012 - 12:10 am

Hello my name is Tom I like football and Xbox what do you like I would be fascinated to know. Do you know where are school is? Also I have heard you have commented my friend Nikolas he was really pleased for a comment I have to go now bye please reply!

• #8 by Grace on September 13, 2012 - 2:44 pm

Hello Laura,
      I strongly agree with you on the 2 guideline points you have givin. I personally think i do this alot (when I comment on topic I always seem to jump straight into another conversation and it never makes sence!) Another thing I agree on in Lauras post is (If you disagree, don’t be rude about it; give constructive and helpful feedback.)
      Thanks Laura!! from Grace

• #9 by Anonymous on September 13, 2012 - 11:12 pm

hi I’m samuel h
        I hope you don’t mind me jumping in the talk. I will speak and reply later.

• #10 by JJ on October 24, 2012 - 7:26 pm

Hi i’m JJ and i think that is a good idea

• #11 by josh on September 13, 2012 - 11:08 pm

I think that is a great idea

• #12 by Charlotte on September 13, 2012 - 11:10 pm

I agree. A lot, it is very sensible.

3. #13 by Roby on September 10, 2012 - 7:09 pm

Hey Mr. Rogers
    Out of the five guidelines I chose, the two I thought that were most important were…
    *Make your comment worth reading.
    And
    *use only your first name to address yourself when online.
    Roby

• #14 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 6:25 am

Hi Roby,
      I really like the idea of making your comment worth reading. It helps start a conversation and it might challenge some of our ideas.

regards Mr Rogers

• #15 by Lachie on September 13, 2012 - 2:39 pm

Hi Mr. Rogers and Roby
      I totally agree with you if you don’t post something worth reading there’s no point posting it. I also think using your first name is important as well, other wise people may Google you and find out information about you and your family which isn’t good.
      See you from Lachie

• #16 by Lucy on September 13, 2012 - 2:45 pm

Hi Mr Rogers and Roby,
      I agree with the two that you have chosen. It is definitely important not to give out any personal information. Especially only use your first name online. It makes sure that nobody can search you up on the internet and find out any personal information like your; phone number, address, age, or anything like that, you could get in serious trouble or even end up having someone following you everywhere. Scary!!! Also it is a good idea to make your comment worth reading or what is the point of posting it at all. People will get bored reading it and probably won’t reply to it, and that wouldn’t make you feel very good if you added a question onto the end.
      From Lucy

• #17 by Anonymous on September 13, 2012 - 11:13 pm

Hi Lucy! I go to Biggin Hill Primary School, and I totally agree with you! people should not share personal information online, from Daniela.

4. #18 by Jack on September 10, 2012 - 7:54 pm

Hi Mr Rogers,
    The guid lines have made me think about some of the comments I am writing. I have tried my hardest to stop using text language.
    I think that I can disagree more politly.

What guidelines do you think are important?

• #19 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 6:24 am

Hi Jack,
      disagreeing online is difficult because you are never sure how someone will respond to your words when there are no facial expressions or body language to use. If you think about how we challenge each other in the classroom and the careful way you use words then that is a good start.

I think we always have to be aware of cybersafety behaviour, however the guideline I like is around the content. Have a conversation where you can learn and challenge each other.

regards Mr Rogers

5. #20 by Ellie on September 11, 2012 - 8:11 am

Hi Mr Rogers,
    the two commenting guidelines i think are the most important are;
    dont use text slang like R for are or U for you, and sometimes use a question at the end to keep the conversation going.

• #21 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 7:26 pm

Hi Eloise,

you are right, of course. Where do you sit in relation to editing and rereading comments!

Mr Rogers

• #22 by hollie on September 13, 2012 - 2:40 pm

hi Ellie
      I agree with those two commenting guidlines. but also i belive that you shouldn’t just put words that are not needed in the commint that you post.
      what about you?

6. #23 by camden on September 11, 2012 - 2:34 pm

Hi Mr.Rogers

I think that guideline 1 is important “don’t reply with cool comment or no one cares” because it’s not a real comment. And number two is don’t give away any personal info to stay safe online. Thanks Mr. Rogers

From Camden

• #24 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 7:25 pm

Hi Camden,

your first guideline is different to everyone else so far but I agree with you. I think you are saying be clever first and have an interesting conversation.

cheers Mr Rogers.

7. #25 by Ben on September 11, 2012 - 3:04 pm

Hi Mr Rogers
    I think the 2 most important commenting guide-lines are…
    *Add a question at the end of your comment to keep the conversation going.
    *Re-read your comment before you submit it.
    I wonder which of the commenting guide-lines you think are most important?
    Ben

• #26 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 7:23 pm

Great question Ben,

I actually agree with you about rereading your comment before submitting. It takes some time and effort but the skill is one you will use forever.

Mr Rogers

• #27 by Tom on September 13, 2012 - 11:10 pm

Hi Ben I received your comment and I really enjoyed reading it managing your own blog is getting more responsibility and it is really fun reading comment I would hopw to learn more about your school. Bye!

8. #28 by Nathan on September 11, 2012 - 3:05 pm

Hi Mr Rogers,
    I think that all the guidelines on the Huzzah blog are all very important but the 2 I believe are of the most significance are…
    Read and reread to make sure it makes sense and your spelling and punctuation is correct and think about your digital footprint.
    I agreed with all the reasons on the Huzzah blog and thought they covered everything. How about you?

9. #29 by Pat on September 11, 2012 - 3:10 pm

Hi Mr Rogers,

I visited the Huzzah blog and read the commenting guidelines and found two that I consistently do:
    1. I always start typing like I am texting which is really annoying because I am so used to texting that my fingers just type the wrong keys.
    2. Keep your personal details to yourself like, last name, personal details (etc.) so I now have to remember not to use my last name just my first name.

From Pat

• #30 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 7:21 pm

Hi Pat,

You make a good point about typing using ‘texting’. I always think about it being similar to the way you talk with friends, with parents or with teachers. You use different sorts of ways of communicating with each audience.

regards Mr Rogers

10. #31 by Jason on September 11, 2012 - 3:11 pm

Dear Mr Rogers,
    Out of the four guidelines I chose these two that I think are most important comment guild line rules they are…
    • Make your comment worth reading
    • Never give away personal information
    That is my opinion, what do you think Mr Rogers?
    From Jason

• #32 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 7:18 pm

Hi Jason,

I like the fact you always have an opinion. I also think that you follow your guideline about making a comment worth reading.

see you tomorrow, Mr Rogers

• #33 by Oliver on September 13, 2012 - 12:11 am

hello there, Im Oliver from Biggin Hill primary School in england. I hope you get a chance to meet my schools site( bhps blog) and you can see things that my schools been up to, and I hope you get to comment on my site Oliver’s blog,
      Please reply,
      Oliver

11. #34 by Harry on September 11, 2012 - 3:11 pm

Dear Mr Rogers,
    I believe that the 2 guidelines that l will use are:
    1 Make the comment easy to read
    2 Don’t say things that can hurt people.
    What do you think about those guide lines?

Cheers Harry

• #35 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 7:16 pm

Hi Harry.

I completely agree with you (oh my goodness!) What do you think about editing though?

Mr Rogers

• #36 by josh on September 14, 2012 - 11:02 pm

Hi I am Josh and i agree with you my teacher always say check your work

12. #37 by Grace on September 11, 2012 - 3:12 pm

Hello Laura,
    Thanks Laura!! from Grace

13. #38 by Jaco on September 11, 2012 - 3:17 pm

Dear Mr Rogers,

The Huzzah blog’s “Commenting Guidelines” is a very good thing to lean back on before you submit your comment. But back to the task the two out of the five I chose where:

Sometimes add a question at the end to keep the conversation going.

Don’t share specifics of your daily routines that involve time and location (ie where & when your soccer practice is).

I think that they were the most important but all of them where quite good. What’s your two guide lines Mr Rogers?

• #39 by Tim Rogers on September 11, 2012 - 7:14 pm

Hi Jaco,

I really like the idea of asking a question. We have been talking about ‘fat’ questions, so thinking along those lines sounds great to me. I also agree with you about internet safety and protecting yourself online.

Mr Rogers

14. #40 by Mrs de Voil on September 13, 2012 - 3:34 am

Hello everyone, I have been really interested to read your comments about how to make good comments on a blog. This is definitely something that I will be doing with my class in the future. I’m looking forward to sharing our ideas and working with you all.

• #41 by ellie on September 13, 2012 - 3:05 pm

Hi Mrs de Voil, my name is Ellie.
      I am really exited about talking to kids from England!

• #42 by Laura on September 13, 2012 - 7:57 pm

Hi Mrs de Voil,
      I’m Laura. I am very excited by the fact that we are Quadblogging with schools from other countries all over the world. Also, I would like to know what your term topic is if you have one. My top two things to remember are above, near the top of the list of comments.
      I would like to know what you remember whilst writing a comment.
      Hope you reply,
      Laura

• #43 by Tom on September 14, 2012 - 10:59 pm

Thankyou for commenting me Laura, I’m really excited about learning about the Native Americans because from what I’ve heard It sounds really fun. Also I have gone back to what you said about my poem and edited it I would love you to reply bye! Tom.

• #44 by Kaden and Jim on September 14, 2012 - 11:21 pm

Hi Laura we just done art and now we are reading but we are talking to you . In litercy we are doing river poems. in science we are doing space.

• #45 by Laura on September 15, 2012 - 11:47 am

Hi Kaden and Jim,
          You guys have science?! I right now have green-eyed jealousy (did you know that William Shakespeare made up that line?)!

I am taking a wild guess: in Literacy you are, overall, studying poems. Your topics are sounding like fun. I’m not sure what our first term topic was. We were doing so many different things. However, our second term topic was the Victorian Gold Rush. We went to Sovereign Hill, which is an open-air museum based on the Ballarat Goldfields in 1854. Not as boring as it sounds. There are people playing as characters, 1800s schools that you can be a part of, old-fashioned shops and loads more. We got to play as children in 1854. And this terms topic is Nutrition. We are currently making our own cereal boxes (only if we have finished our work, though)!
          How much of a rating, out of 10, do you give yourself about your knowledge of space?
          Hope you reply,
          Laura

• #46 by rachel and Livvy on September 14, 2012 - 11:22 pm

We are very excited aswell,
        our two topics are space and rivers
        We would like to find out what is your school uniform?
        what lessons do you have in the day?
        what time do you go to school and when do you go home?

• #47 by Laura on September 15, 2012 - 11:09 am

Hi Rachel and Livvy,
          Right now it is our final week of school, so our term topic is nearly over. But it is Nutrition. We learned about vitamins and minerals. Did you know that strawberries have more Vitamin C than oranges?

If you want to see our school uniform, there is a link to our school website above. It is a yellow t-shirt with our school logo (New Gisborne wth a possum for the G) and navy blue pants or shorts. We also have a blue and white checkered dress.

Our lessons for a day depend on what day it is. However, it usually involes one or two hours of literacy, one or two hours of maths, one hour for our term topic, one hour for specalists (Monday: sport, Tuesday: Art, Wednesday: P.E., Thursday: LOTE (which is Indonesian) and Friday is Music), half an hour for silent reading and half an hour of catch-up time (that was order).

For us, school starts at 8:50 am and school ends at 3:20 pm. Recess is at 11:00 am and finishes at 11:30 am. Lunch starts at 1:30 pm and ends at 2:20 pm.
          Do you have any netbooks or interactive whiteboards?
          Please ask if there is anything else you would like to know.
          Laura

15. #48 by Yazmin on September 13, 2012 - 10:59 pm

I dont think we should say mean things about eachother

16. #49 by Charlotte on September 13, 2012 - 10:59 pm

I think that you should not be able to say anything rude at all, not one single thing, but we should have the freedom to reply to each others blogs/comments to in a way talk to each other.

17. #50 by reece on September 13, 2012 - 11:00 pm

I think we should be able to put fun coments and not just all about school

Oh and my names REECE

• #51 by josh on September 14, 2012 - 11:05 pm

yes I think that is true

18. #52 by Ella on September 13, 2012 - 11:02 pm

Hi Mr Rogers my name is Ella and I think it is really important to keep certain things private like where you live and your phone number.
    You have to stay safe because the internet can be just as dangerous as the real world so be careful out there bye.

19. #53 by lucie on September 13, 2012 - 11:02 pm

hi im lucie from biggin hill pirmay school iam delightied that we have got the chance to talk to you we will keep in touch please commet by

20. #54 by Tom on September 13, 2012 - 11:02 pm

Hello this is Tom I think some of the most important rules of blogging are: always put something that is cybersafe and age appropriate also think about how others would feel about receiving this message.

21. #55 by Holly on September 13, 2012 - 11:04 pm

Hello im Holly from biggin Hill Primary School and I think that you should not use bad language or share personal information with eachother.

22. #56 by Brooke on September 13, 2012 - 11:04 pm

Hello my name is Brooke and i think we should be aloud to put fun and funny stuff on our blogs and things that we are doing at that moment and what we did that day.

23. #57 by Nikolas on September 13, 2012 - 11:05 pm

Hi Mr Rogers. I think some of the rules about blogging are that you should never say anything inconsiderate or critasize. While blogging do not cyberbully and do not post stuff rude or not age appropriate.

24. #58 by alexander on September 13, 2012 - 11:05 pm

Hi Mr Rogers. My name is alexander but you can call me alex. What do you like. I like vido games. I dislike geting out of bed, what do you dislike?
    From Alexander biggin hill primary

25. #59 by joe b on September 13, 2012 - 11:06 pm

Hello Mr Rogers Im Joe and I think a good rule is even if someone posts something offensive dont bully them. (Im from Biggin Hill primary school)

26. #60 by Oliver on September 13, 2012 - 11:06 pm

Hello there mr Rogers! I’m Oliver from Biggin Hill Primary School and I would like to know what your school gets up to,
    please reply,
    Oliver, ps, do you have chickensin your school because mine does.

• #61 by Laura on September 15, 2012 - 11:16 am

Hi Oliver,
      We don’t have chickens in our school but we have plenty of other wildife. Our school is located near a farm, so we see lots of kangaroos and horses. Once when I was at a After School Care program (when you stay at school with some adults because your parents can’t pick you up on time), an echina came right up to the gym wall and started eating the ants that were there! It was such an amazing experience. We also are pretty sure that some possums live in the trees in our school.
      Do you have any other animals?
      Laura

27. #62 by Alex.B on September 13, 2012 - 11:07 pm

Hello Mr.Rogers im Alex.B I agree with most of your comments. I think the rules for quad blogging should be: Dont spam, reply to friendly comments/posts, read and listen to comments, no rude or abusive comments, do not ignore comments. By Alex.B.

28. #63 by Louisa on September 13, 2012 - 11:07 pm

Hello! I’m Louisa. I think that the rules of blogging should be
    1. to not share any personal information
    2. to not be mean

29. #64 by Anonymous on September 13, 2012 - 11:07 pm

Hello my name is JJ. I am in year 6. We have just returned from 7 weeks summer holidays which was great. Our class is just starting a new project called ‘The Americans’ this I think is going to be really interesting. My faviourite sport is football and we are very lucky as we have a great playground to play football on at break/lunchtime.

30. #65 by Lewis on September 13, 2012 - 11:11 pm

Hello Mr. Rogers,

I think the rules for quadblogging should be,
    do not spam other people’s posts and Always be nice to other people online

31. #66 by Joshua Louder on September 13, 2012 - 11:11 pm

Hi Mr. Rogers, I think the rules should be:
    No spamming, No rude or abussive comments/posts, Don’t ignore a comment and create at least two comments/posts a week.

32. #67 by Josh on September 13, 2012 - 11:13 pm

Hi Mr Rogers im Josh g (the g is there because there is three josh’s in my class). I hope your school is amazing. Im in biggin hill primary school in london.

33. #68 by Daniela on September 14, 2012 - 11:00 pm

Hi Mr Rogers, I’m Daniela, I go to Biggin Hill Primary school, and I think that It’s important to never give away too much information.

34. #69 by Anonymous on September 14, 2012 - 11:00 pm

Hello my name is Maisie and I come from Biggin Hill Primary School,I think the rules should be
    1.If somebody posts somthing and you do not like it don’t put bad things about it.
    2.give nice feedback.
    3.Don’t put rude or bad lanuage.
    4.No spamming.

35. #70 by Josh and kieran on September 14, 2012 - 11:10 pm

What lesson are you doing now. We are doing art and practising our colour mixing.

36. #71 by Libbie on September 14, 2012 - 11:15 pm

Hi my name is Libbie and i think the rules should be do not give personal infomation.

• #72 by camden on September 17, 2012 - 3:20 pm

Hi Libbie
      I’m Camden i totaly aggre with you you don’t want some stranger coming to your house

Thanks Camden

37. #73 by Heather on September 14, 2012 - 11:20 pm

Hello, my name is Heather, in our class we have golden rules this is one of them, keep our classroom tidy, do you have any golden rules?

• #74 by Laura on September 15, 2012 - 11:28 am

Hi Heather,
      We don’t have golden rules, however instead we have SMART learning behaviour and Habits of the MInd. There is a link to the Habits of the Mind on this blog. SMART learning behaviour is practically a set of rules. They are:
      • Have your toolbelt ready and be organised for each session
      • Be responsible for your belongings
      • Work to your best
      • Ask questions when you want some help or you need something explained again
      • Look after your body and brain
      • You are part of a community
      • Not interrupting or distracting anyone else from their learning
      If you want a better or more detailed explanation, go to Recent Notices and the list should be the first one there.
      Hope you reply,
      Laura

(will not be published)